Team Pilgrims

Team Pilgrims
Team PIlgrims

Olympic Gold Medallist Jamie Staff

Olympic Gold Medallist Jamie Staff
Olympic Gold Medallist Jamie Staff is supporting our event and will be cycling alongside us

Saturday 1 May 2010

1 MAY - THE FINAL TRAINING SESSION

Started out from home with the first climb up Longage Hill on me immediately. Didn't feel too good for some reason but pushed on to the Ashford Hospice which I reached in 1 hour. There were some beautiful goldfinches flying around as well as the odd weasel! I didn't stay too long and set out to tackle my bete noire - the hill from Bulltown to the top of the Downs. I started to feel better having probably warmed up, although the weather was decidedly mixed. I paid attention to my senses and started to climb in the lowest possible gear early on and it paid dividends as I made it to the top - hurrah. I was beginning to think that I would never make it. I carried on towards Canterbury, managing to get soaked in a shower as I was going up the Nackington Road. I sought refuge in the Canterbury Hospice whilst an even bigger shower passed over. A quick cup of tea and then it was time to head for home via St Martin's Hill, Bekesbourne, Patrixbourne, Bridge, Barham and Elham. 44 miles in about 4 hours cycling.

It has been good to read David Jones' comments. David - I will e-mail you in the next few days but if you read this BLOG we are aiming to set off on the day at 0900 from the Ashford Hospice. I will be there well before this time. Looking forward to riding some of the way with you before you leave me behind.

No more rides this week and not much drinking. Time to load up with carbohydrates

2 comments:

  1. Looking at the weather today (Sunday 2nd May), I am so glad that the ride is next weekend, and that I got another good ride in on Friday.

    I look forward to catching up with you again next Sunday, and hoping for much better weather than we are having at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out today for a short (15 mile) ride, up to Hastingleigh into a slight headwind, which made life a little harder than usual. I was using the trip out as a final check on the bike, which was just as well, because the gears decided to play up again. Unfortunately this meant a trip to Canterbury to get this sorted.

    Returned from Canterbury with front mech working as it should now, chain fully lubricated, so all that is needed now is to make sure that my knees are fully oiled, and we should be ready.

    Sponsorship target of £500 has now been reached, so am very grateful to all my sponsors.

    ReplyDelete