Team Pilgrims

Team Pilgrims
Team PIlgrims

Olympic Gold Medallist Jamie Staff

Olympic Gold Medallist Jamie Staff
Olympic Gold Medallist Jamie Staff is supporting our event and will be cycling alongside us

Sunday 18 April 2010

18 APRIL - THE WHOLE ROUTE

Started the day with "Oats so Simple" to set me up on the food front. Cycled from home in Lyminge to the Ashford Hospice in 1hour 10mins. Had a cup of tea with the volunteers and chewed the fat about an author who writes books on cycling journeys. We will try to get him to do the ride. Pushed on after about 30 mins and had to tackle the hill out of Bulltown up onto the Downs. It is really steep and as it was early in the ride and I was concerned about my knee and my energy levels I got off and walked the last bit (what a wimp I here you say!). Made the Canterbury Hospice in 1 hour 30 mins. Had huge amounts of water and an energy bar befor striking out for Margate. It was quite warm and I was still in winter gear. Looks like another trip to the cycle shop to spend more money! Made good progess toward Preston when I was passed in the opposite direction by Team Pilgrims member Ian Ashton who was out with his Downland Cycle Team mates. He makes me feel pedestrian which I am. After seeing Ian I entered a part of the route I haven't done before, passing through Pluck's Gutter, Monckton and Minster befor heading for Manston. Passed-by Bell-Davies Avenue which reminded me of the Navy. I used to serve with Richard Bell-Davies, and this road (and many others) are named after his grandfather who was the first man to land an aircraft on a ship. I made the Thanet Hospice after about 1 hour 30 mins and again had more tea and energy bars. Spoke to Team Pilgrims member, Theresa Alcock, who was nursing our patients. She has been doing 40 milers but I was able to tell her that she needs to step it uo to avoid "hitting the wall". I also bumped into a visitor called Paul who is doing the ride. He seems a seasoned rider having done London to Paris a few years ago. We had a great chat about speed and I was able to tell him about our forget-me-not appeal. Having got the directions from our volunteers I set off on what turned out to be a 2 hour 30 mins ride home via Sandwich where I had yet another energy bar. All went reasonably well until about the last 2 miles when fatigue began to set in. I guess I still haven't quite worked out the food and fluid intake but I am almost there. So what lessons were learnt apart from fluid and food. Well there is a need to get the pace right and not set off too fast. I also need to practise climbing hills because there are 2or 3 that are testing in the southern part of the route up onto the Downs. And finally, it will be easier on the days with lots of other riders!

1 comment:

  1. Impressed by your ride today Steve... I was also out but "only" for a 50-miler, but this was made somewhat more difficult by the fact that my gears would not allow me to access the 8 lowest gears, so the climb through Stowting was "interesting" and Longage Hill was not as "enjoyable" either... but still managed to get round in a little over 4 hours. My heart rate monitor also reckons that I burned off 3000 calories, so my evening meal did not touch the sides. The joy of cycling...

    ReplyDelete